Family Accommodation in Nottingham

There is no dedicated family accommodation offered specifically for students in Nottingham, either by the University or by other suppliers. In searching for suitable accommodation, you will therefore be reliant on the private rented sector.

However it is important to understand that there is a national shortage of family accommodation. You will probably need to widen your search for accommodation outside the traditional student areas in the city you are studying. If you are not finding anything within Nottingham you are advised to look in nearby towns and cities, which are often still within commutable distances to the university. As the demand is so high for accommodation, this is likely to also drive up costs. Depending on the size of accommodation you are looking for and the location, the costs are likely to be between £900 and £1,600 per month for a 2 - 3 bed property.

If you are coming from overseas and have not yet arrived in Nottingham you are strongly advised not to bring your family until such time as you've found suitable accommodation. 

Please click here to see our advice on how to find accommodation in the private sector.

Important note on Local Services

Generally, students in Nottingham will live in an area served by one of two local authorities. Areas such as Dunkirk, Lenton and Wollaton are covered by Nottingham City Council  
Areas such as Beeston, Bramcote, Chilwell and Sutton Bonington are covered by Nottinghamshire County Council.

Nottingham City Council is a “unitary authority”, which means that all local services are provided by the Council.

Nottinghamshire County Council is a two-tier authority: the County Council is an upper tier of local government, responsible for providing services such as education, transport, planning, fire and public safety, social care, libraries and trading standards. The lower tier of local government within Nottingham County Council consists of seven district / borough councils:

District and borough councils are responsible for rubbish collection, recycling, Council Tax collection, housing and planning applications.

If you live in or near Nottingham but are not covered by the City Council, it is likely that you will be covered by one of the three borough councils listed above.

It is important that you check which local authority area you live in – especially to ensure that you can access the right education services for your children.

Click here for information on childcare, healthcare, school education and local services in your area.