Family Accommodation in Bradford

There is no dedicated family accommodation offered specifically for students in Bradford, either by the University or by other suppliers. In searching for suitable accommodation, you will therefore be reliant on the private rented sector.

Please click here to see our advice on finding somewhere to live in the private sector.

Demand for accommodation suitable for student with families has increased significantly in recent years and it is important to understand that there is a national shortage of family accommodation. In this context, you will probably need to widen your search for accommodation outside the traditional student areas in the city you are studying. If you are not finding anything within Bradford you are advised to look in nearby towns and cities, which are often still within commutable distances to the university. 

As the demand is so high for accommodation, this is likely to also drive up costs. Depending on the size of accommodation you are looking for and the location, the costs are likely to be between £900 and £1,600 per month for a 2 - 3 bed property.

When to Look

Start exploring accommodation options and the market as soon as you have accepted a firm offer at your institution and, if from overseas, you have the necessary visa/immigration clearance.

Many students who will be living with their families in their host city – particularly those from overseas – make the move to the UK on their own and take up temporary accommodation (eg in a budget hotel), while they look for longer-term accommodation. Their families join them once they have secured longer-term accommodation. However, please note that in Bradford, short-term options for accommodation are also hard to find and you should not assume you will be able to find something suitable. But if you plan to do this, research beforehand the general cost of your temporary accommodation and make sure you have sufficient funds for it. 

Before you come on your own, it is a good idea to contact Unipol and to look out for up-to-date bulletins in these web pages on the availability of short-term accommodation for individual students. You can also check Unipol’s Student-to-Student Noticeboard (remember to set your city) to see if there are any students wanting to leave their accommodation and looking for a replacement for the remainder of the tenancy. The availability of such opportunities is generally dependent on the time of year – there are likely to be more in late spring/summer.

Some students from overseas try to secure longer-term accommodation for themselves and their families before they move to the UK. This has the advantage of removing the need for arranging temporary accommodation before they make the move to the UK. It is also worth noting that, if you have school-age children, signing up for longer-term accommodation before you arrive will make it quicker and easier for you to progress an application for your child(ren) to secure a place in a school, because you will be able to provide the local education authority with evidence of a permanent address in your host city in advance of your arrival here.

However, there is always an element of risk in signing up for private rented accommodation without seeing it at first hand. But if you decide to do this, look for adverts which give a good sense of the quality and size of the property and those which have clear photographs of what is on offer. Assure yourself that properties you are looking at are let furnished – outside the student market, some aren’t. 

Please be aware that, if you are thinking of using a commercial letting agent to help you find accommodation, many will not allow you to sign up for a property without you first having viewed it at first hand. With accommodation in such short supply you could ask a local contact or friend to view on your behalf or see if you can do a viewing by video.

Whether you are planning to find accommodation remotely or after you arrive in the UK, when you are viewing a property, you are strongly advised to work through Unipol’s checklist for these purposes. 

Things to Consider

There are a number of things to consider when thinking about if the accommodation is suitable, for example in the UK, a bedroom should not have more than two children in it. Two people per bedroom is generally considered an occupancy limit for rental purposes.

  • Two children aged 0-9 can share a bedroom whatever their sex
  • Two children aged 0-15 can share a bedroom if they are the same sex
  • Children aged 16-19 are counted as needing their own bedroom

Take your time and look at a good selection of properties. If you rush in and sign up for one of the first properties you look at, you may be lucky and land a good one. But the chances are that a thorough, more measured search will get you better accommodation at a better price. Be wary of landlords or agents applying undue pressure to make a decision on a property.

The tenancy length may not match the academic year and many will ask for a credit check, rent in advance or a UK guarantor (see guidance on contracts).

Please be cautious and ensure you are happy before accepting a property, as once agreed it is a legally binding contract and you cannot change your mind. You will still be responsible for the rent even if you move out early. 

Accessing Local Services

For information on local services and amenities please visit the following links:

Property standards

In Bradford, as elsewhere, standards in rented accommodation are variable, so you need to be alert to sub-standard properties, amenities, fixtures and fittings when you are looking for somewhere to live. If problems emerge once you have moved in and the landlord is reluctant or slow to put things rights, you should think about contacting Bradford Council, which is the statutory authority for these purposes. The Council’s Housing Standards Team can respond to tenant complaints about hazards in rented housing and about landlords failing to get repairs done in reasonable time.

Further help and advice

Click here for further help and advice.

Money: rent, contract lengths, bills and hidden costs

UKCISA Guidance for new international students seeking accommodation - Bradford

Know your rights

Government guidance: How to rent