Council Tax - Bradford

In each area the local authority collects Council Tax to help fund local services including education, police and fire. The charge is based on the value of the property, and is paid yearly.

Exemption to liability for Council Tax

Under most circumstances students in full time (not part time) education are exempt from having to pay Council Tax.  

Exceptions to the exemption

  • If there are one or more non-students living in a property with full time students, then Council Tax will be payable on the property. If there is only one non-student living with a group of full time students, then only 75% of the full amount will be due. If there is more than one non-student, then the full amount will be payable. It is important to note that in these instances all tenants will be equally liable to pay the Council Tax on that property, not just the non-student.
  • If you are between courses (e.g. between undergraduate and postgraduate study) you are liable to pay Council Tax
  • If you are in the writing-up stage of your study after the official enrolled study period has ended you are liable for Council Tax

How to confirm exemption on receipt of a Council Tax bill from the local authority

The university and college provide lists of all their full time students to Bradford Metropolitan Borough Council. If you receive a Council Tax bill, usually it will be sufficient to contact the local authority and give them a list of all the students living in your accommodation to receive an exemption for the property.

If you are a student at a college, or if your name was not on one of the lists provided by your institution, you will need to provide proof of your student status. Visit your university or college administration department, and they will be able to provide you with a Council Tax Exemption Certificate which you will need to present to the local authority. It will not usually be sufficient to show your student ID card to the local authority. If you have received an exemption from paying, you should ensure that the name of your landlord is listed with the local authority and appears on the Council Tax bill.

Liability for Council Tax at the end of studies

When your official enrolled period of study has ended, you will become liable to pay Council Tax.

Financial assistance available with paying Council Tax or rent

There may be circumstances in which you can get assistance paying your Council Tax or rent after you have finished your course.

You may be entitled to Housing or Council Tax Benefit, if you:

  • are on a low income – including low earnings 
  • are responsible for paying rent or Council Tax
  • have savings amounting to less than £16,000 (different capital rules apply to people over 60

Calculating entitlement

The amount you receive will be calculated on the following bases:

  • money you and your partner have coming in, for example, earnings, some benefits, tax credits and occupational pensions
  • your and your partner's capital, savings and investments
  • your circumstances, such as your age, the number of people in your household, the ages of your children and whether you or any of your household are disabled

How to claim

To make a claim you will need to submit a completed application form and provide any other relevant documents as proof. You can get further details on the application processes from your relevant local authority.

If you have any questions about Council Tax, please contact the relevant local authority.