Code Complaint FAQs

Q. How do I know if my landlord is a member of the Unipol Code?

A: A list of members can be found at the link below

Landlord Directory

If you are still unsure contact us and we will confirm.

Q. What if my landlord is not a member of the Unipol Code?

A: If your landlord is not a member of the Unipol Code then we would be unable to raise a Code complaint against them. We may still be able to offer advice and point you in the right direction for help.

For local sources of help please select your city:

Leeds Nottingham Bradford

Q: I want to end my tenancy early but my landlord says I must find a replacement tenant. Can I complain?

A: As tenancy contracts are legally binding agreements, you would normally have to find a replacement tenant to take over the remainder of your contract. As this is a legal matter, we recommend that you visit your Students' Union advice team for some legal advice and support.

You could also ask your landlord to help you advertise your room.

Unipol has a Student Noticeboard where you can advertise for a replacement.

Q: Can the Unipol Code Complaints process award compensation to me?

A: Neither the complaints process nor the independent complaints Tribunal can pursue or award compensation to complainants. We recommend complainants visit their Students' Union advice team or local Citizens Advice Bureau for some legal advice regarding compensation.

Q: I disagree with the deductions to my deposit by the landlord. Can I complain to the Unipol Code?

A: Deposit deductions do not fall under the remit of the Code. However, if your tenancy ended more than 28 days ago and your accommodation provider has still not returned your deposit then you can get in touch with us about this and we can contact them on your behalf.

To find out more about deposits please view our deposit information

Q: I don’t want to make a formal complaint, I only want some advice. Can I contact the Unipol Code?

A: Yes, you are welcome to get in touch with us for general advice on any issues you may be experiencing in your accommodation and we will do our best to help.

Q: Can my parents or a nominated person deal with the complaint on my behalf?

A: Yes, you can appoint someone to deal with your complaint on your behalf. However, you must send an email stating this to the Code Complaints Investigator, giving your authority.

Q: Do I need to do anything before I make a complaint?

A: Before making a complaint to the Unipol Code, you must raise the issue with the landlord. If you are unhappy with their response, or how they handle your complaint, and your complaint falls under the Unipol Code, then you can lodge a formal complaint with us. Please see our How to Complain advice page

Q: What will happen when I submit a complaint to the Unipol Code?

A: The Code Complaints Investigator will look at the information provided and get in touch with you to help resolve the issues raised. In most cases complaints are resolved quickly and effectively.  Unipol work closely with the local Council and the Students' Unions to get timely results on complaints.  In the unusal situation where we are unable to help, we will always try and provide some advice and point you in the right direction.